6.20.2009

Silly Talk

This week has definitely had it's ups and downs. DS is always there to encourage though! It seems just when I am discouraged and in need of 'pick-me-up' he says the darnedest things!!!
All of the following were spontaneous and FIRSTS!!!
1. Earlier in the week, DS was having a hard night and responded to EVERYTHING we said with 'Beasty-Beasty'. I was growing tired of him not responding to us properly and tried to find out what 'Beasty-Beasty' meant. He wasn't helping at all and was becoming more frustrated by the moment. I ran out of the room...hid...ran back into the room towards DS and as I tagged him yelled 'Beasty-Beasty'!!! He laughed so hard and said 'No, it's not a game' in the most playful and silly voice I've ever heard. We still haven't found out what it means...
2. We have been working SO hard with DS on dressing/undressing. He mastered sliding elastic pants down some time ago. He can get his diaper/pull up off, though I've only ever seen that when he's working for a marshmallow (potty reward). His shirt is the hard part. If I start one arm for him, he can usually at least attempt to get it off on his own. The thing that has been VERY recent is him choosing to do this on his own. We usually have to prompt until we are sick and tired of prompts!
Well, this morning I woke up and heard the TV on. I usually hear the pitter-patter of feet when he jumps out of bed, but not today. I walk into the living room to see clothes littered about and one NAKED jaybird sitting on the couch watching a cartoon. Just for added flavor, if the chain lock hadn't been on the door - it would have been standing wide open as well!
Mommy: Good Job!! Did you take all your clothes off?
DS: Yeah (full blank stare at the TV)
Mommy: Do you need new diaper? Do you need to potty?
DS: No, I want Cartoons
Mommy: You did such a good job taking all your clothes off. You did it all by yourself.
DS: Removes focus on TV "Yeah. (name) did it!"
3. Tonight, Dad put DS to bed. He usually requests a Curious George book-on-tape to listen to as he falls asleep. In fact, it usually lines right up with whatever story he READ to himself in the 15 min's of book time before bed. Recently we have been asking if he wants SILLY stuff to listen to such as, Curious George eats a Popsicle, or Curious George Dances with Mommy.... just to mix things up. He knows that those aren't REAL titles of CG books/movies and laughs. Tonight was as usual with the silliness. Here's how it went....
Daddy: Do you want 'Curious George goes Skydiving?'
DS: No, that's not a Movie. I want 'Curious George Eats a Carrot'
Daddy: That's silly, that's not a movie
DS: Good Job Daddy, Thank you for using your words
****I think we might say 'thank you for using your words' too much!****
4. Anytime I even attempt to lay with DS and SNUGGLE like I've always wanted to do, he gets upset and pushes me away, 'No Mommy, No, No No'. I tried this at naptime a couple days ago and modeled for him 'No Mommy, I want to sleep by myself' & then left him alone.
So, one day Daddy tried to lay down with him. And without any prompting at all he says 'No Daddy, I sleep by myself'. YAY!!! Dad was floored because he had no idea I had taught him to say that ;-) Teeheeeheee

7 comments:

Laura said...

LOL

thank goodness for the chain lock!

oh I've got infinite loop of nonsense in my house between my older son (just turned 5) and Brad. On one hand, I feel like I should be promoting his speech, like real words not nonsense, but on the other hand, the silliness is so sweet. A budding sense of humor, you know.

Good for you for promoting independence with dressing...I just do everything for him. Bad mama, I know. It's just easier for the time being.

A little boy just 3 years old said...

Laura - you are NOT a bad mama!!! It is all about picking battles! Clothes is just a battle I choose to pick right now!

A little boy just 3 years old said...

I always get him in/out of the car... I am too impatient with that!!! I try to keep my 'snail' comments to a minimum when I let him do it himself. OOPS!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post. His adorable-ness oozes through the page. My favorite is 'Good job, Daddy. Thank you for using your words.' It reminds me of my 2 yr. old who always cheers when I successfully use the potty, even in public. "Good job wiping, Mommy!"

Nyx said...

That is so cute. I really needed the reminder about the chain lock, because one of my 2 year olds has figured out how to unlock and open both the front and back doors and thanks to his being in the 95th height percentile, he can reach even the deadbolt without even a step stool. But I have been putting off the chain lock. Guess it's time to stop putting off that trip to Home Depot....

A little boy just 3 years old said...

***raised hand***

95th percentile BABY!!

Nyx said...

oh yeah. Did I mention that he is the one with PDD-NOS? So yes, he does try to just let himself outside. I also have to carry keys with me if I run out to the car for something because otherwise he will lock me out of the house. Yikes!! All I can say is that there is a mixed blessing to the PDD-NOS, which is that it has delayed his and his twin brother's (NT) learning how to cooperate. I hear from other moms with twin boys that they usually do things like climb on each other's shoulders to reach top shelves and what not. I guess if that ever happens I will not know how to feel ... grateful that my PDD-NOS son is doing something typical? Or ....