6.30.2009

IEP Results:

The meeting went very well, actually much better than expected.
The 17 page report that describes a well rounded picture of my boy was read off to me in brief. Multiple areas were described as being noted during the 3rd observation - which made me feel really good I pushed for it. A couple items I was NOT aware of that were reported were his IQ (DAS II), which tested at 132; and his Visual-Perceptual skills which tested above what any of this team had ever seen. [This is a test with a series of blocks that are used to create structures matched and then remembered, as well as being timed. He never missed one] The Ceiling for the test is 90 & he scored 90. However, this was another great picture of his 'skatter' of skills as he did not test THAT well on the other parts [though they were all between average and very high somewhere].
Alot of paperwork later.... he was determined eligible through the Autism Spectrum Disiblity Eligibility requirements.
~~~side note~~~
Last Tuesday when the Psychologist was at our house, she told me that he was not impaired enough to qualify under ASD, they were having a hard time qualifying him under DD and began giving me other options for settings where he could benefit from time with typical peers. She also told me that he would not benefit from one of their settings because all of the children have IEP's. This whole process goes to show that NOTES and REPORTS and PHONE CONVERSATIONS with current THERAPISTS, as well as GOOD observations across professions are VITAL to this process!
I took a deep breath as I read the paragraph that detailed his eligibility & support diagnosis of Autism. I KNOW it, but it always hits a little hard when it's in black ink.
On to determine GOALS. The general categories that were either proposed or suggested by the team (including myself) were all functional goals:
Self Care/Safety
Regulation (Body/Emotions)
Peer Social
Independant Social
Pragmatic Language
He also has a blanket OT service that has no time limit to incorporate sensory into the entire plan. She can come everyday or once a month, depending on his needs.
SLP is stated as 4x/30 min for each reporting period (approx. 9 weeks)
The placement is for a Part Day, Developmental Delay classroom. All the children have IEP's, but there are varying issues. The instructor is trained in Birth-5, but usually has added training & I was told that if they are not fully trained on the issues that are presented in their classroom - they receive specialized training [in theory]. The actual SCHOOL placement will happen within the next two weeks. They are looking at a school that is not the closest school to our house, but has a teacher with more experience in ASD. We won't know if we will get year round or traditional until then either.
I am very pleased with this placement. I feel that other kids will have something to offer him, he will have things to offer them - but it will be a less threatening environment with a little more support and less kids.
How in the WORLD do teachers keep up with all these goals? Hats off to the successful ones!!
NOW I have to actually LET GO and let him GO to this preschool.

2 comments:

Laura said...

oh what a relief. Sounds like a decent plan...and validation.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're pleased with the placement. I remember how hard it was to "let go" and let Rhema go to preschool. I'm hoping for a smooth transition for both of you! I have a feeling DS will do great and really enjoy school. 132 IQ. Wow!