6.13.2009

The one with goals...


I don't know about everyone else out there, but I'm not a huge fan of the way goals are written for the IFSP.

It was brought to my attention by our new, competent Service Coordinator, Mara, that his current IFSP has only 3 goals. Anytime we have changed or updated goals, I have signed something to approve them, but I had no idea they were actually supposed to update the IFSP itself. It hasn't been changed at all since June 2008.

So, I am finally in the process of gathering all of his past/current goals to create a bigger picture of where he has been and what progress he has made - for myself - but more importantly for the IEP meeting in two weeks. Even though the goals are written in list form, the goals are 'met' in narrative form - thus not giving me a clear-cut LIST of goals to mark off as done (or ask to re-evaluate if needed). I am a LIST girl. I need a LIST!!

These are his current Goals:

Speech

Will respond to choice questions without any echolalia

Will ask simple who, what, where type questions in 2/3 opportunities

Will comment to gain person's attention like, "look mommy" in 2/3 opportunities

Will request "more" without prompting consistently

Will use pronouns I, me, my, you, your correctly in conversation.

Will protest words other than "no", such as "I dont know" or "stop it".

OT

When He is frustrated, he will be able to throw himself safely on the couch.

He will improve his body regulation so he is not too rough with his sister or other people.

He will be open to new foods instead of the same thing everyday.

He will be able to put his shoes and clothes on by himself.

He will be able to transition to new activities and handle changes in his schedule.

(There are supposed to be 3 more under this category, I will add them when I get them back)

As we discussed his OT goals this week, Dawn brought up a TON of stuff that didn't make it into the goals. Here is the part that is confusing to me and I don't like... They have to make the goals 'functional', but if he needs eg: 'body regulation'; the goal is written with a need for not being too rough with sister. But the discussion talked about everything from going up and down stairs, motor planning, to cutting etc.. We also discussed Fine motor needs, Bilateral Coordination, Low tone, etc.. etc.. etc.... Why do they have to be so specific? I am almost OUT of the whole EI process and I am still confused. DO they not want to work on too many issues at one time?

1 comment:

Laura said...

*shrugs shoulders* I never cracked the code either. Good luck.