8.30.2008

Dinner

Unfortunately Dad was sick all day today throwing up. We took care of him all day, but then decided to get out of the house for a bit. We ended up eating at Cici's Pizza (which has gone UP in price considerably!!) where kids eat free under 3. So, I only had to pay for me & if DS wasn't interested in anything - no loss.
It was the most peaceful, calm, enjoyable meal that I have had with my 2 children in I can't tell you how long. I am SO glad we went. I have been feeling like DS has been on the verge of some big breakthroughs recently & it has been so exciting to see the little tiny things that seem SO HUGE to me that he's put together for himself.
So, after getting both kids out of the car - wondering all the while what in the WORLD I was doing trying to go to a buffet with 2 small children - we headed inside the restaurant. The first obstacle is usually that I'm holding the baby & DS won't stay with me while I pay and get my tray (not that we ever go, but I'm thinking of other instances when I'm holding baby sister and I can't exactly hold onto DS). I walk in, greeted by a manager who is obviously in need of a serious chat, and DS starts to walk off.
"DS - Please come back, I need you to stand right here with Mommy"
The next part felt like slowmotion, because I fully expected to tell the manager, excuse me, while I ran after him and then tried to juggle the two of them while I paid. I was exhausted just at the thought of that battle.
Not this time. He came right back and stood by my side . . . .
GASP! That's NEVER happened before.
Then, we got our two rolling highchairs and find a good seat near the pizzas so I don't have to walk far away OR drag the two of them over to the counter.
I moved baby sister down the table far enough so her little 'sticky fingers' couldn't get into the pizza as I brought the plates, but didn't really think about moving my plate further away from DS. By the time I got back with his plate, he had already found the cinnamon buns. Oh, well. He enjoyed them.
The next GASP moment was that I got us all settled and questioned myself on whether to take the time to pray or not - and decided I had better. So, I reached out to grab their hands - both sticky at this point - and began to pray. As I was finishing up, I peeked out of the corner of my eye to see what DS was doing & his eyes were firmly shut - not doing anything else but praying. I've NEVER seen him do that either. At the end, he said AMEN and then opened his eyes.
My last GASP moments of the night were each time I asked DS a question.
Do you want more drink? No.
Are you all done? No.
Do you want more Pizza or more Cinnimon Roll? Bread. (which is what he was calling the rolls)
Can I wash your face? Yes.
Can I wash your hands? Yes.
Can you help Mommy cleanup? Yes.
Are you all done? Yes.
And he even helped pick up all the little crumbs Sissy left around her seat too.
It was just so much fun. See??? These are REALLY just a bunch of blessings. How many parents have children that do these things so easily - and it all gets taken for granted. Not with me. I pray I continue to see the Blessings - because it really is a lot of work too - but to see improvement of these proportions makes it all worth it.

No comments: