8.30.2008

Berry Trials

The book I got from Mitsy (OT) has some good insight. I have only made it a couple chapters in, but it sparked some ideas that I HAVEN'T tried on getting DS to eat. Evidently he is somewhere between a Picky Eater and a Resistant Eater. I will not jump to put him in the latter category, but it is definitely an issue that deserves to be revisited once I've read more of the book. Anyway.... I bought two containers of fruit that DS has not really been exposed to very many times. I decided that for a week, I will put Blueberries and Strawberries on his plate at every single meal. I will not focus on them. I will not force him to eat them. I will not make it stressful. They are the 2 items on his plate that he is allowed to do whatever he wants to do - as long as it's not hazerdous. If he wants to squish them, lick them, stick them in his ears.... I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. I want to see if the presentation of food and his confidence/stress level will affect whether or not he will eat something new. Day#1, Meal #1: Placed items on his plate. We named everything & he identified both berries. I got one of his books and showed him the blueberries, which he proceeded to spell from. I asked him what strawberries smelled like? He sniffed it. I asked him if he wanted to lick them. He did. Then, he tried to feed me. I took the bites he offered and then left the table. He counted the blueberries, but no bites. He seems MUCH more resistant to the strawberry than the blueberries. Day#2, Meals 2, 3, 4: Licked, Smelled, Fed Mommy. No bites Day #3, Meals 5, 6: Licked, Smelled, Counted, Held, Rolled around, Fed Mommy. No bites Days 4,5,6 - Lots of meals later... same stuff... never ate them. However, he ate Apple during our OT appointment (detailed above)

No comments: