8.27.2008

New this week....

The sassy side of him came out this week. Naptime yesterday, I was trying to put him and sissy down for naps at the same time. We had been out of the house & her naptime was pushed back, so it was a perfect time. Usually, they end up in seperate rooms, but I decided to give it a go of putting them both in their own beds. He was instructed to read books. She was swaddled and layed down. Well, about 20 mins later, I hear giggling. I walk in to find him passing books through the slats on the bed. THEN, I told him to get back in bed and I was taking the books away. (I was already holding back my laughter about has hard as I could, it was too cute...sharing with sissy) So, he looks dead in my eyes - glances a sly look at sissy - and says 'BYE BYE MOMMY' waving and all. It was all I could do to get the door closed before I busted out laughing. So, how come will he do a greeting without prompting when I cant praise him for it?? Baby steps, I know. Then, he was playing with blocks one night. He has all shapes and sizes, and usually either lines them up around the room, on the table, or sorts them through the top of the bucket. A line I remember from his IFSP is that he 'doesn't attempt block structures' which basically means when given a few blocks, he WILL line them up and he WILL stack them, but he doesn't attempt to BUILD anything with them. So, he takes 3 cylinders... stacks them... holds them all in one hand... starts to shake them & brings them over to Sissy. "Bottle" "Bottle" "Bottle" What an adorable sweet face he has, looking up at me and wanting to share his pretend bottle with sissy. Yep, I shed a few tears. It was wonderful to see him translate some of the imaginitive play we've been doing to a new game all on his own. And, last, is his newest aversion to 'Oh-No' or 'Uh-Oh' His feelings have always been extra sensitive, just like mommy. At the mere mention of being in trouble or getting hurt that bottom lip starts to quiver. Well, I forgot how awful he used to react to the two words mentioned above... until recently when he started to get super upset when someone reacted to them again. When he falls - I have to cover my mouth to avoid saying it & he's fine. If I slip up, he ends up getting So upset crying. Anyway, there were 2 incidents that really come to mind. One, he was watching Super Why - his new favorite. In the episode with 3 little pigs, I watched with him and when the Big Bad Wolf was changed into a Small Good Wolf, I said 'Oh no - the Big Bad wolf is sad that he was so mean to everyone. At that moment, he started to bawl and sob. I had to hold him and comfort him and finally he settled down. At the mistake of showing that episode to him again, his lip began to quiver and he said 'No, No, No'. The second was a book we were reading. 'Who will Fat Cat sit on?'. I thought it was cute & funny. The fat cat talks about sitting on all these other animals, and then it implies that he might eat the mouse. Of course, mommy says, Oh No - the cat will eat the mouse for lunch. And Goose Tears, sobbing, the whole works again. I've tried to read the book again recently and he just says 'No, No, No' with these big scared eyes.

No comments: