9.01.2008

SLP

Today went very well. Dad was home today for Labor Day, so he finally got to meet Jen and be in on a session. I think he enjoyed being a part of things. Games as usual. I could tell that we've played the 'put cars together in a train and then let bears ride' one too many times, becuase he got quite silly and way off course. That's what he tends to do with his own toys when we're playing and trying to practice his Speech Objectives - since he's so familiar with them. He tends to focus MUCH better when its a new game.
While we were still playing the 'put bears in train' game, he did several things that he doesn't typically do. He kept taking all the bears out of the train and throwing them on the floor, so I pretended that the bears wanted to jump. Jen pretended the bears wanted to sleep. DS decided that ALL the bears were sleeping, and as I would stand them up, he would lay them down and pretend they were snoring. That makes Mommy smile. During our session, Jen was telling us that he is mastering things Light Years faster than she ever imagined he would. She said that she never thought he would catch on to the concepts she is throwing at him so fast. She said that she wants to just keep going as far as he'll let her take him and keep adding new concepts. Jen wants to add as many different scenarios as possible, since he catches on quick but still has a hard time translating a skill over to everyday life scenarios. What do I mean by that? I mean that while he'll answer 'want green truck' during a game where we've shown him the only acceptable answer to get what he wants is 'want green truck', he doesn't say 'want red block' or 'want orange juice' to prompt me to come get those things for him. Now, I will say that he DOES ask for more and more things on his own. If we've repeated it enough times, he knows to say 'Mommy, I want Juice Please' - but if not - he usually comes barelling in the room going - Elmo, Elmo, Elmo, Elmo, Elmo, Elmo..... It's all a bit confusing... it still feels like a lot of this is just normal 2 year old stuff - but I get new confirmation of the reason he's 'on the spectrum' on a daily basis. I guess when you COMBINE all the issues... it = Autism. Nasty little A word. Why do you have to be so confusing little A word? No matter how great he is doing - I still see the importance of having the Speech Therapy. I hope Jen doesn't say 'ok, he's done' - I dont know why I fear that.... But, if we didn't have her to teach us what helps bring language out, we wouldn't know what to work on. It is only through DS's sheer Genious, repitition, and of course God's Grace that he is doing so well. He really really does need to be taught things that other children pick up on their own. Good for us, he's a QUICK STUDY! I feel for those mom's who don't get to see improvements so often.... I find myself thinking on that often... and I take a quick moment to be thankful for all of this. It will make me a better person. Jen commented that he's picking up on things that are well above his level of development. She said that 2 year olds will usually pretend play putting a baby to bed or feeding...but they dont pretend conversations between toys - and he's doing that more and more now. He has mastered questions with a one word answer: Want Truck or Car? Truck Jen wants us to move on to multiple word answers: Want Green Truck or Red Car? Want Green Truck As Jen was leaving... he MADE HER DAY! 'Bye Jen' He said it! Finally! Without anyone telling him to! Week after week, we walk outside to watch Jen leave, as I tell Jen Bye and tell him to say the same thing..... and sometimes he will give in to my request, but never on his own.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yes, Brad's therapists often comment on Brad's ability to generalize. Children on the spectrum tend to learn by rote memory. The breakthroughs are when they depart from the rote learning.

But that's not to say you shouldn't value or even cherish your son's memory - sounds like he's on track to be gifted. You are fortunate.