7.24.2009

Talking... er.... Reading the PHONE....

I cannot bypass posting this one ;)
We use reading/spelling/numbers as rewards around here all the time. Ask me how to get my 18 month old to do something & I have NO IDEA --- but DS will do almost anything for stated rewards.
I was talking to his Memaw on the phone last night. I tried to get him to talk and he directly told me, 'No'.
A few minutes later, he came back. 'My turn.'
'Ok, talk to Memaw, but no numbers'
As he put the phone up to his ear, he was looking as hard as he could out through his peripheral vision to see those numbers as it went past his face. He couldn't stand it after about 2 seconds and, before even saying hello, had the phone back down and started reading it.
We went through a series of giggles as he TRIED to read and I redirected. Finally I said, 'enough, no you can't talk if you're going to read it, all done'.
He left for a few minutes.
'My turn', again.
'Ok. You can talk, but NO numbers. You could say.... hello. how are you? what are you doing? I love you. Bye Bye. But NO looking at numbers.'
He got a sneaky grin on his face, 'OK!'
"hellohowareyouwhatareyoudoingIloveyouByeBye....... '
*looking at numbers*
Memaw and I could not contain our laughter for nearly 5 minutes. OH MY! Well, he DID say everything I suggested. The reward system is working SO WELL. HA!!

3 comments:

Queenbuv3 said...

That is too funny!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie.

It's funny about rewards. Rhema NEVER "talks" on the phone. Something about a voice coming through the phone and putting the phone against her ear really bothers her. But once I had a popsicle I was about to give her and her grandparents were on the phone. I said, say "hi", and she wanted the popsicle so bad she said "hi" just as I held the phone close. You should have heard the rejoicing on the other end. Her grandparents thought she actually talked on the phone and said hi to them. She really just wanted the popsicle, but hey, it worked!

Nyx said...

That's hilarious!