3.21.2009

The one with the Museum...

When I focus my blog posts on our current subject matter of figuring out what our OT needs are, therapist comments, etc... our life seems all too dreary and dull. Especially as of recent, the blog is not a good portrait of our lives as a whole - so I will invite you to something a bit more telling...
The Museum
When I was growing up, kid's museums were all so 'sciency'. That is great for kids who are either ~8 years old or into that stuff, but I was always kinda bored. So, I had not put any thought into the local children's museum, knowing that the Natural Science, Art & History museum trips have been a bit on the sleepy side for us.
I'm a sucker for a freebie, so when I found out they were doing Story time and Free Admission one afternoon this week, we headed out on an adventure.
It was perfect! Everything in the whole place was to encourage children in imaginative play. Everything scaled down to child size, yet bigger than anyone could ever have in their home - there was an ambulance, firetruck, hospital, kitchen, grocery store, ball pit, dress up stage, train set, lego forts....you get the point.
Both kids LOVED it.
We parked in space #63, which DS reminded me of often. He held my hand like a big boy all the way in. Had a hard time in the line to get in, but that's ok... Storytime lasted less than 10 minutes because he wanted to sit IN the book and read the words. But that just gave us more time to play!!
His favorite ended up being the ball pit, which thouroughly surprised me! He loves slides, and you slide into the ball pit, but I didn't know what he'd do once he was in. Until he wriggled himself all the way over to the other side and slid back out, I was ready to jump in and save him. But, he did great! And, then there was no getting him back out :-)
Baby sis' favorite was running away from mommy. Around the corner from the lego fort area was 'Real Tools' (duely named; saws, hammers, wood..) - so i was being cautious neither of them went that direction. But, Baby sis thought it would be MORE fun to grab the legos and make a RUN for it! Her other favorite was driving everything - the convertible, the ambulance, the mail truck... DS sat either in the passenger seat or back seat while she 'drove'. Is this imagery I will remember in a few years? I think so.
Mom's favorite was the lack of batteries, cords, buttons, noises, stop-dont-do-that's, and the ELEVATOR - which would stop any unwarranted behavior at the slightest mention...
I absolutely LOVED that the only noise in the whole place was light instrumental music and the sound of kids playing.
It was exhausting chasing them in different directions, or holding Baby Sis while DS ran toward something else, but that's not a complaint - just a matter of fact. I would love for Dad to go next time so we can really let the kids dig into whatever it is that meets their fancy that day.
Good day. Good imaginary play. Good words. Good following direction. Just plain ol' good.

3 comments:

Shari said...

This sounds like a wonderful museum! I would love to have something this close for my two little guys. Definitely something my 2 1/2 yr. old. needs.

A little boy just 3 years old said...

This site should have most all of them. I hope maybe you've just overlooked one - because it was SO wonderful!!!

http://www.childrensmuseums.org/visit/reciprocal.htm

Laura said...

oh, that does sound like fun! There's a fun little museum in VT we like to go to with great toddler stuff, but Brad got hand/mouth disease after visiting - those mouth sores. So germaphobic DH has reservations about going back. But the kids loved it.