3.25.2009

The followup to re-reading the IFSP...

Tammy came today with the 'Disco' seat, wiggle seat, whatever you want to call it. It was no big deal for me to call her and request it and have her schedule a time to come out. It seemed to work well at lunch/dinner today. He still fidgeted, but when I also mixed in some deep pressure through his shoulders/elbows/wrist, he seemed to calm down even more for us. He almost seems to MELT into anything with deep pressure. I'd say that's the sign I've been looking for.
Also, when she came, she was supposed to bring his OT evaluation from August.
There's not one.
She called the company that worked with us previously to request it, but they have not gotten back to her yet....... The sad part is, I am not even surprised. However, if they can't produce something, I will be requesting a new OT evaluation. End of Story.
.........................................................
Jen's visit today was really good. She worked on one task with DS and then we talked the rest of the time. I got out a lot of stuff that I feel like we haven't discussed & I think the timing of it was good as well. [Again] She told me that she feels like he is caught up & in other cases she would be ready to discharge, but recognises 2 things. 1- it will be harder to get services again after being discharged and 2-she knows that he will fall short again soon without SLP help. Not with making sentences, etc.. but social/emotional.
I agreed 100%.
I also made note that DS does things for her that do not translate over to his 'real world experience'. I told her that SHE is a prompt for him. He asks questions for her - for her books - for her cars.... and he will ask questions around the house as well - but it is all so learned and rote. I know, I know, it starts that way when its emerging...
I also told her about the reading I've done over the past couple days on Hyperlexia (more to come on that in a few) & asked her if she had ever read up on that subject. I feel like there are things pertaining to language development that might involve her having a more detailed understanding of how his early reading can impact his language development. One being the amazing amounts of things that can be memorized & spit back out as big chunks (looks rote) instead of REALLY being learned.
At the same time we were talking, DS and DD were bouncing around the room playing and getting into whatever their hearts desired. DS decided he wanted to 'play with mommy and plashpluh....' which ended up translating into 'flashlight'.
Upon witnessing something more mundane and the opposite of structured play - Jen decided that she wanted to cut out our structure play time (oh God thank you! I was so afraid she was going to bring up 1x/month visits again) and just come without her toys. So, next week, she is coming without her gaggy bag of stuff & wants to participate in whatever activities just HAPPEN.
Also, we are looking to find a place for her to observe DS that would show his interaction with peers, opportunities to communicate, demands being placed, etc... Because she (and I) think that his next set of issues are going to be in direct relation to being in a setting where he needs to interact with peers and meet demands placed on him. Whether that be just understanding what a teacher is requesting, or stopping color time, or sit in the chair..... you know... preschool stuff.
Anyone reading this blog ever needed to do that before? Suggestions?
In the end, it was a great conversation. I do not agree that he is all caught up & am working on finishing my list of concerns (that I started a couple weeks ago) that we can still address at his tender age of 2 years and 8 months. We still have more than 3 months with EI. We have come SO far. He said an 11 word sentence for her today. Oh My! Who would have thought. BOTH our jaws dropped as I counted the words that came out of that precious boys mouth.... I think we still have some things that can improve over the next few months. My expectations will never quit, but will ALWAYS be blasted out of the water with this amazing child.
...........................................................
I'm on an emotional roller coaster today. There's really not a reason - nothing has happened that much different than usual - just if you think of me today stop and say a little prayer. Everybody deserves a good cry once in a while....

No comments: