8.07.2009

Two firsts at dinner.....

I don't know why I held back my tears when it happened.... I guess so I could be strong for my boy. But, I am NOT holding them back as I write this.
Our first week of school is over. DS hasn't been eating well at school [they serve breakfast], I can tell because he is hungry enough to tell me when he gets to the car. Tonight at dinner we had a host of favorites; Chicken Nuggets, Green Beans, Potatoes, Mac n Cheese. Both kids were happily digging in, when baby sis decided to start playing with her milk.
As usual, playtime ensued. She shook her cup back and forth, and he did too. However, his is an open top cup. 'Uh-Oh!' says mommy when it spilled. And the tears started to flow. He was so upset. His little lip was quivering, he was heart broken.
In the midst of sobbing, he managed to get out, "I'm... sorry ....for ...spilling... milk Daddy....'
What did he just say? What did he just fully understand? What?! What!! WHAT??????
Dad and I looked at each other in amazement and felt so sorry for him because it was SUCH a sweet first for us, but it was just an accident and he felt so bad he could barely get the words out.
Then, "Can... I ....help clean up ....milk?"
What did he just ask? What did he just fully understand? What?! What!! WHAT??????
Sweet sweet firsts. Sweet sweet understanding. I am amazed beyond words tonight.

5 comments:

Laura said...

*offers ALBJ2YO a hankie* It really is amazing when they make those connections. Sweet indeed.

A little boy just 3 years old said...

And that reminds me that I needed to change ALBJ2YO to ALBJ3YO. Need another hankie please ;)

Queenbuv3 said...

This made me cry. That's awesome!

~ April ~ EnchantedDandelions said...

*wipes away a happy tear*

It's so wonderful when they are able to communicate their needs and wants. But being able to communicate how they FEEL? Absolutely amazing!

((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! Wonderful, wonderful and so very sweet! God is so good!