4.16.2009

The one with the first IEP meeting...

Well, the first one that really counts anyway...
I'm trying very hard to not be nervous about tomorrow. I am as prepared as I think I can be & I am holding fast to Jeremiah 29:11. I am coming to terms with the fact that public services aren't the end all be all anyway, so everything will be just fine whether someone there listens to me or not. But my #1 prayer for tomorrow is that I will say the right words, someone will listen and understand, and that my little soon to be three-year-old will get what he needs.
For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
This is the second of four meetings that will determine little man's IEP. The second one is set aside to discuss what needs to be evaluated and/or observed. This is equally as important for him as the IEP itself because if they wont agree to evaluate/observe what I think is necessary, then they won't get a full picture of his needs. The most frustrating part of this is that the forms I was supposed to fill out had a section to describe in 'narrative' his STRENGTHS, yet the section on concerns only had checkboxes.
I shake my head.
I think knowing and understanding his strengths are very important and I would have GLEAMED at the chance to gloat about my little boy had I not felt a bit of a set up in the way the form was written. As a rules follower, I had a bit of a hard time going against the grain.... but if I've learned ANYTHING over the past 10 months, it has been that I am the only voice that DS may have. So, I proceeded to narrate about EVERYTHING instead of what I was supposed to. I think I painted a pretty good picture, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

Laura said...

ouch. Checkboxes, really? Good luck. I'll be so curious to see how he performs for his evaluations.