9.29.2008

SLP

So, last week, I met with Tammy (coordinator) and we worked on updating some of DS goals. One goal we added to Speech was to begin working on 'function' questions. I will post all the new goals for SLP and OT once I have them in my hand.
Q: 'What do I need to open the door?'
A: 'A key.'
So, in order for him to learn the function of something (what opens a door? what cuts the banana? what do I need to call someone with?) we need to start using more complex questions -instead of just looking for a response to a question - we need to prompt him to answer these types of questions.
This morning, Jen used the 'Parents Animal Hospital' (one of my all-time favorites) to show us how to tap into this new concept. She would ask him 'What do we need', because he already knew he wanted the animals out. Then we would say 'We need the key. The key opens the door.'
Seems simple enough. We'll just try to add these questions to our vocabulary so that we're prompting him to answer the questions before we just give him a handout.
Reallife examples:
If he wants a drink.... 'What do we need to put the drink in?' 'A cup'
If he wants to brush his teeth... 'what cleans your teeth?' 'A toothbrush'
Still brainstorming...

1 comment:

~ April ~ EnchantedDandelions said...

Wow, that is such a neat toy. I bet Isaiah would love it. Great idea about asking questions as far as function.

Sorry you didn't get any answers re: the genetics testing. But that's awesome about his behavior at the library!!