12.03.2009

Game Shows...


  
 Game shows. They're just a lot of fun? right? Well, if you're ok with winning AND losing, then yes. If you are devastated at the mere thought that something on TV could be WRONG and someone would tell them that they are WRONG and then give a new answer, then not so much fun anymore. 


It started with Price is Right. Then the 'bow, bow, boooow' noise showed the disappointment on Bob's face and the contestant didn't win. Then it was Family Feud. The big red X in a big red box sent him into a shaking frightened terror. And yesterday, it was Lets Make a Deal. What was I thinking? He happily watched. He enjoyed the show SO much (I mean, come'on, who doesn't just LOVE it when you are given the choice between 2 doors or cash right?) that he walked around asking us questions like, "Would you like Door #1 -or- $99" with a huge grin on his face. 


And then I ruined it for him. Forever more. I didn't think. I didn't protect him. He will not even allow me to talk about Door #1 and Door #2 now. I gave him 2 doors and he picked the one with $0 (which he understands, by the way, to be bad) and he lost it. He shakes. His eyes fill with tears. His face is transformed. And he starts to bawl. 


Perfection has been a big deal in our home for a long time and sometimes I wonder if I didn't know what sets off our son what our life would look like. If I purposefully went about our daily life (making changes to schedules, cancelling shopping trips, turning off shows before they are over) would we be a living nightmare? or would we be teaching him valuable life lessons? 


But when you see THAT LOOK in his eyes, you cannot mistake it. I don't know how to do it to him. I KNOW that he needs to learn these things, but I think its a slippery slope. I've got to do it RIGHT. 


So, we've made an appointment with a Psychologist. Another piece to our puzzle of OT, SLP, DT, Preschool, Neurology, Pedi, ENT, Dev. Pedi, Craniofacial, Gastroenterology, Genetics... and someday soon I will probably be revisiting Allergy [crazy side note: Im wishing they ALL rhymed, because they ALMOST all rhyme but not actually ALL of them, and I am now thinking... OH... this is where he gets it from]



I recently rather enjoyed this post by Hyperlexicon  discussing how the Wii is helping her son with some of his perfection issues among other things. We had the opportunity to play a little Wii over Thanksgiving with my brother and DS is not ready yet. He was so ZONED in and I really don't think he or we would ever do anything else until it was safely locked away in a closet. We'll revisit that in a year or two.

No comments: