7.06.2009

Joy, Trials, Patience, Wisdom.....

I began my day today reading James 1:1-5
I KNOW that when I am obedient to read HIS word, it will be used. Most of the time, it relates to someone else; an encouraging word, a conversation, etc... but when I read about Joy in the midst of Trials.... I should ALWAYS know that it is going to be a day testing of my faith.

We went to church this morning to work on some props for VBS. There were several other kids there. Pretty much we had the hall to ourselves; the kids had a TV, lots of toys, and space to roam. I thought to myself, "Here's the perfect opportunity to give DS a little social interaction."

Everyone always tells me how great he does with other kids. But all I saw was him sitting in a corner reading. Then, he ran up and down the halls. Then, he played with the doors on all the car toys, then he swung a hockey stick around the room with no awareness of the other kids. He never interacted. Not once. The other 6 kids had toys thrown from here to yonder & he MIGHT have put his hands on 3. To boot, he wouldn't listen to ME either. He's been better about that.

Then, he was with the babysitter (and sis) for a few hours while I went to the dentist. He was pretty good for that, other than a diaper change outburst (which ended up being a problem because he wanted to go potty - but he already WENT in his diaper, so he couldn't and he doesn't do well when he already has something in his head).

As soon as I got home, we had to eat. He has refused breakfast today. Only ate Peanut Butter for lunch, and basically refused dinner too.

Then we left for a meeting (which I knew I should have kept the kids home for instead of going, but we went anyway). Baby sis ran like a crazed animal for 2 hours & DS just sat there. 1 hour with the Study Bible. 5 min's, again with the doors on toys. A little running/circle time. Then, the rest of probably 40 minutes played with a calculator.

Am I just noticing it more? Are we just in more circumstances where I see it? Is he just getting older and I'm seeing the delays more? Is he having a hard week?

Yeah. Hard Day. Everyone has them. I know.

God.... today..... I will need YOUR wisdom to perfect that JOY in my heart. I am imperfect. My first reaction is to cower into a ball of tears. But I know that YOU know the bigger picture, what YOU created him for, that he will be just fine. That he is your child. I just need YOUR wisdom to comfort me in that tonight.

3 comments:

Queenbuv3 said...

I notice that my son is different more when we are out. At home I just see him as who he is and don't see how delayed and sensitive he is. I have had moments when it has really struck me how disabled he is. I hate those moments because most of the time I see only the positive things.

Yes, some days are a lot harder than others with our kids. The last time I took my kids out to run errands since he has been out of school before summer school starts, they both acted like perfect angels. Yesterday, he cried and quoted a Dr. Suess computer game very loudly from the time we left until he got some jelly beans at CVS and realized I wasn't taking him to summer school. I had mentioned to him that he was starting summer school tomorrow (today) before we left the house and it just set him off. He still has no concept of time.

Hang in there. Tomorrow is only a day away!

A little boy just 3 years old said...

Thanks Queenbuv!

When you mentioned quoting the game... it reminded me. As he circled through my workspace he kept saying "Brought to you today by the letter L and the number 7"

Laura said...

Yeah. Brad's the stationary kid with the calculator too. It's hard not to notice, especially in a group setting.