11.10.2008

TEACCH

I asked Ron today about moving the toy bins out of reach (as Suzanne suggested). I wanted his take on it so we can make sure everyone is on the same page (since he uses picture exchange & Suzanne suggested using picture cards). What he explained to me was that to get someone to communicate, the conversation needs to be relevant. If we are at a table full of people talking about nuclear physics, we won't be nearly as MOVTIVATED to speak up, direct our conversation toward others, and participate. This is what he wants me to think about when we choose what to put away and what to keep down. He said that DS will need SOME stuff down in his reach, but the things he loves most and talks about most will encourage that spontaneous speech that we're looking for faster than anything else. I think that TEACCH may focus a bit too much on his likes because there are plenty of things we need him to talk about that have nothing to do with things he likes. However, I think it's a great suggestion - especially to get DS to understand this new system & what we are expecting of him. I am excited to get the toys re-organized tonight and get some amateur-picture cards made. Daddy will be home tomorrow, so we can both work on DS's understanding of where his toys have gone and how to get them. More on TEACCH later!! There is a lesson plan for each week, and I want to share the big points of each lesson... but I'll have to do it when I find more time.

No comments: