10.26.2009

black & white

June 28 I wrote a list of all my concerns and things I knew DS needed to work on for the IEP.

Jen told me last week that it is time to reassess his speech goals. When she says that, I know it is my job to be on top of what I know, so we can work together in our expertise.

So, I pulled out my handy-dandy list.

It has only been 4 months since I made that list.
Right there in black & white I can see his progress.

✓ Done
✓ Mastered
✓ Emerging

✓ Will respond to choice questions without any echolalia.
  
 still having a hard time with the choice, but not echoing our questions!! 
✓ Will request "more" without prompting consistently
✓ Will use pronouns I, me, my, you, your correctly in conversation
    
very much improved, still not 100%
✓ Will protest words other than "no", such as "I don't know" or "stop it"
✓ Answers/Understands Wh Questions (who,what,where)
✓ Make Observations in environment
    
much improved, especially with sister
✓ Respond to greetings appropriately
    
much less delayed, more appropriate
✓ Express/Respond to Thank you/Your Welcome/Excuse Me/I’m Sorry
✓ Asks for help from others appropriately/offer help….


The list is much longer, and there are still plenty of things that need work. But just LOOK at those improvements! 

3 comments:

~ April ~ EnchantedDandelions said...

Wow, that's awesome he's making so much progress! And reading your other post, I'm glad that he's showing improvement in preschool (even though it's v. stressful for the both of you, behavior-wise).

I've been reading your blog for a while now since my 3yo seemed to share some similarities with yours. Last week, he was diagnosed with HFA, so now I'm re-reading everything with a little different perspective.

Definitely making note of this list (well, the one from June) of things to suggest we add to his IEP. Can I ask how much ST/OT/other therapy your son gets a week? Isaiah currently only gets 45m/week of ST.

Laura said...

That is awesome. Scripting and non-sequiturs are are biggest issues this year. Like we bought Jello at the supermarket on Sunday - apricot flavored. And since then, you know, it'll be breakfast and he's eating cereal and he'll be asking me what kind of jello it is. And then he'll answer himself "apricot." He does things like that a lot.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful progress in 4 months. My favorite is 'making observations in environment, especially w/ sister.' God is good!