4.18.2009

The story I cannot resist...

This evening we needed some groceries. Dad is out of town & I had no choice but to take both kids, so I decided to make it fun. We went to Harris Teeter where they have the little carts for kids. DS has been doing so well walking along while we shop these days, I thought it would be a fun little change. I will never forget his priceless little face when he realized the cart was just for HIM to shop with. He was so proud, I think he almost tipped it over. We set about finding an onion. He paced up and down every inch of produce reading the labels until he happened upon the last bin on the last aisle and found the onions. We got a couple and headed for aisle #1. That was easy enough - he always wants to find the aisle numbers anyway. "Ok, now mommy needs a can of Peas. Can you find that for me?" "Oh wait! Mandarin Oranges... do you want some of them?" DS:"Peas, mommy, peas. No. Peas" "But now I decided I need some oranges, can you find a can?" DS:"Peas, mommy, peas. Aisle 1 Peas" "Ok, Ok, I'll get the oranges, you get the peas. Aisle 2." Well, round about aisle 2 he heard me say that something was on my list. Low and behold if there isn't a list right up there with the aisle number too (thinks DS). So, he proceeds to tell me I need 'Kool Aid', 'Juice', and 'Breakfast Cereal' - you know - because they're all on 'the list' [aka the sign].
Each time we got to a new 'list' he would stand in the middle of the aisle exclaiming all the items listed on the sign & refusing to move a muscle until I got all of them. It took some explaining and a little barganing and distraction, but I did manage to get away without any of those random items. Until aisle 5.
My [still enjoyable yet rigid] 2.5 year old exclaims "I need MIXERS mommy, Mixers."
Dear Lord - the first item on the sign on aisle 5 is 'Mixers'.
You know, the ones used for mixed drinks??!!
This time, he was adamant. "Mixers. Mixers. Mixers Mommy" until the word 'mixers' turned into a whiny blurb that contained nothing but vowels.... but he persisted on.
I was on the verge of wetting my pants in laughter... my son was exclaiming and crying that he wanted mixers... and who knows what the poor shoppers thought of my alcoholic son....
I finally brushed off the laughter - helped him understand what was REALLY next on our list & went in search of Cheese Balls. Ahha!! "Cheese Balls are on aisle 10 with the chips, lets go find them"
Awwwww - man..... they don't sell cheese balls. They sell Cheese PUFFS. Well, that just won't do. LOL another breakdown of the system.... DS finally decides that Cheese Puffs are ok to go in the cart. And I asked him what was next: 'Cheese Balls'. Of course. Because my 2.5 year old can read and he knows that there is a distinct difference in the word 'Puffs' and 'Balls'.
Note to self: Make sure I know what I'm really going for next time & skip aisle 5!!! Also, wash pants.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Priceless!

And kudos to mommy for improvising the cheese puff diversion.

Shari said...

I'm glad you survived with your sense of humor intact. :)

~ April ~ EnchantedDandelions said...

LOL! That's quite the shopping trip! I'm laughing so hard at the mixers, but WOW at him reading the "list"!

Good luck with the IEP meeting coming up.