11.03.2008

SLP - Beaten Down

I'm glad I didn't have time to blog this morning after Speech. I felt so beaten down. I feel like Jen spends more energy trying to defend why everything DS does is normal than she does on working to figure out what challenges he DOES have. I feel like we've been doing the same games and activities forever because she doesn't branch out to find something new. Why is it necessary for me to focus on his strengths and NOT talk about autism with a therapist? It's as if she thinks that I don't recognize his strengths. I've done my best to point out how well he is doing, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't still need help. Sometimes I feel like I need someone who better understands ASD - especially High Functioning kids. Sure, she has plenty of cases (I'm assuming) with kids who are non-verbal, or don't pick up skills as fast as my DS, or maybe they have difficulties that will never improve. I'm not trying to compare my DS to everyone else. I'm just trying to do what's best for MY SON & making me feel like I'm barking up a dead tree isn't going to help. NORMAL 2 year old? I dare to say there is No such thing. She tells me that her little boy won't eat Strawberries either (this is in response to a comment that no, he doesn't eat strawberries.. just strawberry flavored things). Well, that's fine. I DIDNT say that DS won't eat strawberries b/c he has autism. I just answered a question. When you add 1+1+1, does it NOT equal 3? Autism is defined by the COMBINATION of factors. Well, if you have 1 factor... it doesnt add up to 3 now does it? So, his difficulties will ALWAYS be in combination with the normal behaviors as well. Geez. Give me a break!! Anyway.... after she left, I realized I am totally out of formula for DD. OOPS! Our 2nd therapy of the day starts in a littlewhile. So, I run up to Food Lion and think on this on the way there. I held back my tears as best I could..... geez....why am I so emotional today? On the way home I am harping in my head over and over about 'why is she against me'....which brings to mind Romans 8:31.... 'If God is for us, who can be against us?' So, my harp time, my vent time, my beaten down feeling leads me to prayer. Thank you Jesus for being for me. Thank you Jesus for covering all my sins. Thank you Jesus for the chance to be made whole and perfect in you. That's all that really matters. Again, I am comforted that one day my son will have that same chance to choose Jesus.

No comments: