8.12.2008

Breakthroughs and Challenges

Breakthroughs of the week: 'I see Sissy' 'I see Rain' He spontaneously made new sentances all on his own this week. I see is a 'carrier phrase'. All that means is that 'I see...' is the part that stays the same. He will then anticipate what comes next. He only has to plan for ONE change in the sentance. He in turn starts to understand what I see actually means. Since he was telling us what HE saw... I think we had a breakthrough in understanding what SEE means. Yes/No He has become quite quick at his answers to Yes/No questions. There are questions that we ask frequently that he used to have to repeat, think, and then answer. But, over the past couple weeks, he just answers. Examples: A few weeks ago - "Do you want to watch TV?" " TV......" "Do you want to watch TV, Yes or No" " TV... Yes or No" Now - "Do you want to watch TV?" "Yes"

Making Jokes

This was a new one too!

"Do you have a poopie diaper?" "No....."

"I smell something, you have a poopie diaper" "No....."

"Well, what smells then? I smell something. What is that smell?"

"Foot (pointing at mommy's foot)"

"Mommy, Help!" Daily, he is coming from anywhere in the house to find us to ask for help. This is a huge change for him & will be extremely helpful in his communication. He is fairly accurate at asking either of us for help when he needs it during play or during meals. Challenges of the week: Harping!!!! Two incidents. He just wouldn't give it up. #1. We were playing with a lift-the-flap book & he was having a great time opening the flaps to see what was inside. So, he went through Oval, Circle, Square, etc... opening - naming - closing... Then he got to an oval that LOOKED as if it should open, but it wouldn't. He came to get me 'Mommy, Help'. I tried every possible way I could to explain that the oval was not going to open, there wasnt anything inside, it doesnt open. After a literal 15 min's of 'Oval, Oval, Oval, Oval, Oval, Oval.." I finally stopped trying to explain, took the book & hid it, and distracted him with TV. :-( #2. Breakfast time. We had a small amount of Yogurt left, and something inside me said to just give him something else for breakfast. Well, I didnt listen and gave him the small bit of yogurt. When it was gone, he wouldn't give up asking for more. 'Yogurt, Yogurt, Yogurt'. Same sceneario. He would NOT give up. I tried telling him it was all gone, etc.. Finally we had to be all done with breakfast, I distracted him with something else and then fed him something else later.

No comments: